Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Half Marathon High!

I have so much catching up to do. Since my last post, back in September, I've had two weeks of attempting to complete 12 mile runs. The first attempt went pretty well and I walked maybe a mile in total, the second attempt I just didn't have it in me and I walked about 5 miles (oops!). With all the ups and downs of training I had decided to sign up for a half marathon to get me back on track.

This Sunday I woke up at 5am and traveled down to Newport, RI to race in the United Healthcare Half Marathon. Luckily I have people that support my goal of completing the Disney Marathon and Shawn also woke up ridiculously early to drive down to Newport with me. We got Newport around 6-6:30 in the morning and took the shuttle to the start at Easton beach. The race didn't start until 8am so we had an hour for me to freak out about what I was about to do, Shawn kept reminding me that I could do it and that I had trained for it and I would be okay.

Freaking out about 5 minutes before the start of the run!
The course was both a half and full marathon, at the halfway point which brought us back to Easton beach, those like myself doing the half marathon were at the end.

http://www.amicamarathon.com/courseinfo.html
As I rounded the last turn and entered the downhill stretch that lead back to Easton beach, I realized that I was completing my first half marathon and I almost started to cry. I don't think I can put into words the sense of accomplishment I feel, I'm not sure I've ever felt this way. I was able to run 13.1 miles without stopping in 2:17:32 (thats 10:29 minute/miles)! I've pushed myself to do something that I don't think I ever really thought I was capable of. 

Sprinting towards the Finish Line!

Maybe (just maybe) better than completing the half marathon was completing my 4-mile run today with 10 minute/miles and not feeling sore!! I've just got to keep this momentum going for the next 81 days.

Last but certainly not least - Thank you Shawn for supporting me on Sunday, the fact that you only got to see me start and finish and had two hours to kill in between is pretty impressive. It was great to have a smiling face waiting for me at the end.

J.

1 comment: