Monday, August 1, 2011

Can't Beat the Heat

I've tried running 3 times this month around noon time and each of these three runs were unsuccessful. They have all been my long runs of the week, twice I was suppose to finish 7 miles and today I was suppose to finish 8. The closest I came was finishing 5.5 miles when I was suppose to run 7, today was much worse only completing 2.5 miles when I was suppose to run 8. I ended up walking and did a total of 4.5 miles today, still no where close to my projected distance.

I think the biggest lesson I can learn from this is to stop running when it is hot and sunny out! I have had two successful 7 mile runs, both took me about 1:23 minutes to complete and both those runs were done around 7-8pm, once the sun was setting and the cooler temperatures were creeping in.

I now need to repeat this week of 3, 5, 3, 8 miles but will make sure my 8 mile run is much earlier in the day or much later in the day. It's frustrating when I don't complete the distance and makes me worry about how the marathon itself will go. I've been trying very hard to dismiss the negative thoughts and focus on the next run and so far it has worked. Each 3 and 5 mile run I've been running up to this point has gotten slightly faster and each time I try to push myself a little more. And although I love this hot weather, because it means I get to spend days at the beach, out on my parents new boat, or playing around at Brownstone I cannot wait for the crisp days of fall to approach so that it might actually feel nice to break a sweat. But until I'll keep running.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment