Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Now it's personal.

While some people are off tanning in Florida, the rest of us are in rainy CT. To fill you in on my progress, last week was last week of 3 days of interval training, and now I'm up to 4 days of training per week. The book suggests that this week is 15 minutes running and 5 minute walking, repeated twice. Sunday was close - I made it through the first 15 minutes, but only lasted 10 for the second set. Today was my longest training day so far: 12 minutes running, 5 minutes walking, 17 minutes running, 5 minutes walking, 8 minute running. In the rain [booh-yah!].

Now on to the important things... the Disney marathon and half marathon benefit the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® - www.lls.org. Over the weekend, I found out that a friend's father was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Most people associate leukemia with kids, but it can and does affect anyone.  My heart goes out to him and his family, and it was just the motivation I needed to get through todays very rainy run. 

From the marathon's website: "LLS uses the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend as a platform to create awareness of this life saving cause, as well as to raise much needed funds for research. Participants and volunteers have the opportunity to make donations to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society directly at the point of registration or by visiting our website at runDisney.com/DisneyWorld. Each year, roughly $7 million is raised through participant and volunteer donations along with the Team in Training fundraising program. "

I know that everyone is strapped for cash at this point, as am I, so I'll try to use this as an awareness-raising event, not just a fundraising event.  As it comes closer to race day, we'll post links for online donations through the race website.

Tomorrow is a running-free day for me, and then I'll go back to the 15/5 interval for Thursday and Friday.

Cheers!
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment